The History of the Blue Horse Inn
Built in 1831 by Joel Eaton, the house at 3 Church Street has seen many incarnations. It is rumored to have been a stop on the Underground Railroad and local lore has it that General Lafayette may have slept here. The east wing was added in the 1860’s and was later used as a recovery home for civil war veterans.
Ms. Eleanor Paine converted the house to a bed and breakfast in the early 1990’s. Known simply as “3 Church Street,” the house became a beloved local landmark, and Ms. Payne is still fondly remembered by former guests and Woodstock residents as kind and full of good-humor. In 2006, 3 Church was rechristened ‘The Lauren” under the proprietorship of Jack and Nicole Maiden. The Maidens carefully updated the old house, combining a classic aesthetic with a modern twist. The house became The Blue Horse Inn when it was purchased by the current owners in August 2009.
In 2015, the Inn converted to private use only.